What is athleisure?
Athleisure is the fusion of athletic and leisure wear. It’s active apparel mixed with casual clothing, designed to be suitable for both exercise and everyday wear.
Not just a passing trend, athleisure is here to stay. The concept has been around since the 2010’s, but the coronavirus pandemic changed the way the world worked and dressed. With the shift to working from home, athleisure replaced traditional workwear. Consumers want functionality and versatility in clothing- outfits you can wear for work, to go to the gym and go out for lunch.
The rise in athleisure also reflects an increase in health and fitness consciousness, which has generated a demand for breathable, moisture-wicking clothing.
How to wear athleisure
- Dress for the occasion- athleisure won’t always be appropriate at a more formal event like a wedding or job interview. However, it’s perfect for wearing to brunch or going shopping.
- Pair oversized pieces with slim-fitting items to balance your silhouette. Think baggy joggers with a cropped top or sports bra.
- Add accessories to your athleisure outfit to elevate your look. The addition of jewellery and sunglasses creates a contrast between sporty and sophisticated.
- Mix high-performance technical fabrics with fashion fabrics like denim, lace or leather.
- Layering is key when putting together an athleisure outfit.
- With the return of Y2K styles, flared leggings are back as a comfortable and stylish athleisure piece. They can be paired with a cropped top, sweatshirt or knitted jumper.
- If you’re wearing logos, don’t mix and match different brands. Less is more, so if your T-shirt is emblazoned with a large logo, then make sure to wear smaller-scale logo on your bottom half.
- Footwear is just as important as clothing when it comes to completing the perfect athleisure look. Brands have created trainers that can be worn both in the gym and in everyday life. Look for styles with a chunky platform sole, interesting fabrics and prints. I’m really loving these Nizza Platform Shoes from adidas.
No matter how you choose to wear athleisure, have fun! Experiment with styles and let your personality shine through.
All items worn were gifted by adidas, but all opinions are my own.